To encourage the students at Walker-Grant Middle School our instructional staff continues to support students to become self-motivated independent learners by incorporating the following in our classrooms:
- Ensure opportunities for students’ success
- Provide frequent, early, positive feedback that supports students’ beliefs that they can do well.
- Help students find personal meaning and value in the material
- Create an atmosphere that is open and positive.
- Help students feel that they are valued members of OUR learning community.
By Barbara Gross Davis, University of California, Berkeley. From Tools for Teaching, copyright by Jossey-Bass. September 1, 1999.